How to buy a silencer in wisconsin


read more

1. A shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

2. A weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

3. A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

4. A weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

5. Any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);

6. A machinegun;

7. Any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and

8. A destructive device.

Fletcher Arms makes the process to get your own seamless.



Fletcher Arms has a wide variety of suppressors, SBRs, and full auto firearms on our online store. We also carry many suppressors in stock at both our Lake Country and Waukesha Locations. Come visit us and our staff will help you find exactly what you're looking for.

If we don't have exactly what you're looking for, we are more than happy to place a special order for you to be shipped to either location.

We are also Powered By SilencerShop. If there is an item on their Website you'd like, let us know and we can link it right to your account; or simply choose us as a dealer at checkout.


You are able to own your suppressor either individually, or set up a trust.

How to decide? It's about access. If you want others to have access to your NFA items without your presence, you'll want a trust. And you'll name them as trustees. If not, applying as an individual is right for you. If you decide to set up a trust, we can help you. Our trusts are $130 flat rate, and can be made by setting up an appointment with Megan.

To learn more about the our Silencershop Kiosk and the difference between individual ownership, and trusts, click here.


Starting in December of 2021, the ATF brought back electronic filing for NFA item applications, meaning you can submit your application online. This was life changing, or at least time changing! The waiting times for paper forms were averaging a staggering 13 months. Now with the electronic system they’re averaging 200 days!

Click here to register for your E-Form Account.


Once you have created your E-Form account, you'll be able to file your Form 4 to apply for your tax stamp.

This process can be done one of two ways.

A. VIA the PoweredBy Silencershop™ process. Silencershop has made this process easy.
  1. Create a Silencershop Account and Profile.
  2. Download the Silencershop App
  3. Visit our Kiosk to complete your fingerprints
  4. Have access to a laptop or desktop computer to virtually sign your e-forms once they're ready.
B. With Fletcher Arms in person.
  1. Set up an appointment with Megan ([email protected])
  2. During the appointment the following will happen:
    1. Fingerprinting
    2. ATF e-forms account set up
    3. Your photo will be taken
    4. A trust can be made if desired
    5. Your Form 4 will be submitted


Once we get your approval from the ATF, we will contact you and transfer out your NFA item.

In the meantime, we will keep your NFA item safe here at the store. Anytime you visit the range, you are able to shoot your NFA item on our range while you are waiting for you approval. Start putting rounds down range right away!


Do I have to engrave things my NFA item?


Engraving is part of the process for an ATF Form 1 - Making a NFA item. This is most common when building your own SBR (short barreled rifle).  If you build your own item, its required that the receiver is engraved with your name and location.

Is there an age requirement to be on a trust?


Yes, 21 years of age.

What is the NFA?


Using Our Kiosk

The National Firearms Act was passed in 1934 to restrict certain items such as silencers, full-auto firearms (machine guns), and short barreled rifles and shotguns.  It requires an additional tax of $200 be paid to the government, an additional background check is conducted by the FBI, and the Chief Law Enforcement Office of your area is notified of your purchase.

Companies like Silencershop have revolutionized the silencer buying process. There are kiosks that will help build your ATF profile and store your information (trust, photograph, fingerprints) for easier subsequent purchases.  The Silencershop team also review each form to ensure there aren’t errors, generally making the process smooth and worry free. Fletcher Arms is Powered by Silencershop and our Lake Country location has a kiosk to utilize.

What are the current waiting times?


Currently, if you utilize e-forms, waiting times are hovering around 200 days.  This is always subject to change; however it is incredible compared to just last year when paper forms were all there were and waiting times were 12-15 months!

Can the ATF come into my house whenever they want?


No. The Fourth Amendment rocks. They need probable cause to show up at your house.

Things to Know About Using Our Kiosk

What does it cost to buy a suppressor?


Suppressors range in price from a couple hundred dollars to well over one thousand.  It is imperative that you do some research to know what you’re looking for, or head to Fletcher Arms and the friendly staff will guide you to get what exactly what you need!

Other fees include:

$200 Tax Stamp - This is per item. Each serial number you purchase will require its own individual Form 4, and its own tax stamp, which costs $200.

$130 Trust - At Fletcher Arms trusts are $130. This is a one-time fee and your trust is forever!

$150 Transfer Fee - If you purchase online through anyone except Silencershop, there will be a fee to transfer the suppressor into Fletcher Arms. This fee covers receiving, storing and completing the paperwork. Fletcher Arms can order most suppressors for you, completely avoiding the fee. Any Silencershop orders do not have a fee, as Fletcher Arms is Powered by Silencershop! Fletcher Arms Platinum Members get all transfer fees for 50%! With all of the amazing benefits, you should join now!

It May Take Longer. Because the Silencershop team builds the form, it may take a couple of days from the time of purchase until your form is ready for certification.

You Will Need an App. Silencershop requires you to have their app to take your photograph. There are things like QR Codes, passwords, log in information and more. If you’re using the Kiosk, you should be semi savvy with technology or at least patient.

You will want to buy more. Because you went through the process once, and now your information is right there in the app, any subsequent purchases are easy!

Be certain your email address for Silencershop is the same you use for your ATF e-forms account.  This is your online signature; they need to match.

What documentation do you need to have with your suppressor?


When utilizing your silencer, you should always have the following (electronic copies are acceptable):

  1. A copy of your approved form/ tax stamp. Keep the original in a safe location.
  2. Your Photo Identification
  3. If you utilized a trust, you should have a copy of your trust with you as well.

What If I Don't Want to Use the Kiosk?

No sweat!  If the kiosk doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, you’ll just need to be manually fingerprinted. This is free at Fletcher Arms, you’ll just need an appointment with Megan. We fingerprint you (and any trustees you may have) and send it right in to the ATF.

When do you need to provide your documentation?


Technically only ATF agents should be asking for your forms or tax stamps, however its highly recommended that you comply with any law enforcement officer asking.  However, ranges shouldn’t require proof of your approval. Fletcher Arms will never ask to see your forms!

Do you have specifc questions? Reach Out to us!

[email protected]

How will I know when I’m approved?


Paper Form - The store where you purchased will receive your tax stamp in the mail. They will contact you when you can come pick up your silencer.

E-Form - You and the store will receive an email when your application is approved.  The store will contact you to come in and pick up your suppressor.

What do I do if I lose my trust?


If you ever purchase from Fletcher Arms, rest assured, we have your trust on file and can get you a copy!

We understand that even with all the information out there, you might still have questions about your NFA item...


Contact Megan

[email protected]

(262) 409 - 7861

And that's why we have a magical NFA fairy working hard around the clock just for you. Contact Megan and she will be more than happy to answer any and all questions you might have, as well as help you through the entire process. She's simply magic.


We are learning as fast as we can and will continue to adapt and provide the best service and information we can for this new ruling.


1. I have firearms with braces or rifles I bought as a “pistol” what are my options?

You can choose to remove the brace so that there is NO way it can be fired from the shoulder OR, the best option would be to register the firearm as a SBR on an ATF Form 1.

2. Does it cost money to complete a Form 1?

If you file as an individual and file in the 120 day window from the date of publication, you will not owe the government any money. If you want the SBR to be part of your existing trust, you will still need to pay the tax stamp fee of $200. If you have a trust and want your new SBR to be part of your trust, contact Megan ASAP for more info.

3. Will Fletcher Arms help to complete Form 1 applications?

Yes. For $50 we will complete photos, fingerprints and walk you though the process.  You will need to schedule an appointment with Megan and bring the item with you.

4. The ruling has not yet been published, can I begin the form 1 now?

Yes. There is a spot right on the e-forms site to being this (non-fee) Form 1.

5. I have an account with Silencershop and they have my fingerprints on file, can I use them to make my SBR?

Yes. Your Silencershop dashboard will guide you through the form 1 process. for $50. We can help if you have questions as well for an additional $15.

6. Am I allowed to possess my “sbr” while I am waiting for my Form 1 to be approved?


7. Do I have to engrave my “sbr” like a traditional Form 1?

No. If you apply as an individual in the first 120 days after the ruling is published and your item is already properly marked (manufacturer, serial number etc) You will not need to engrave it.  Outside of those stipulations, yes.